Sign in to follow this  
Styles INC.

Ariana *NSYNC to join Ariana Grande for Coachella performance tonight

2 minutes ago, José said:

STADIUM RECORDS HENNNNY. So what if 400M people heard the new Ariana single on the latest Spotify playlist? But we need the streamers to buy the concert ticket.

Q6spoEcA2D-2NQim.jpg 

This. Who gives a hell about streaming numbers when you are selling out stadiums? Taylor, Beyoncé, and Madonna can’t be bothered. 

• Love 3
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nick G. said:

This. Who gives a hell about streaming numbers when you are selling out stadiums? Taylor, Beyoncé, and Madonna can’t be bothered. 

Are you implying that Taylor Swift and Beyonce don't care about chart success? I'm pretty sure they all want #1s and to sell out stadiums too. 

12 minutes ago, Kaz said:

Are you implying that Taylor Swift and Beyonce don't care about chart success? I'm pretty sure they all want #1s and to sell out stadiums too. 

I didn’t say chart success...I said streaming numbers. However it’s pretty clear Beyoncé doesn’t care about single success given her last two albums. She has also made comments that people don’t make “albums” anymore and the industry is so focus on one-off single success. 

Beyonce and Taylor didn’t feel the need to release their previous albums immediately to all streaming platforms...so yes, it’s clear they don’t care too heavily about streaming numbers as opposed to touring. 

Having a #1 song and/or album looks good on paper...but selling out stadiums consistently actually brings in the paper.

07AFC6A4-B600-48B6-A21B-B95A11F44DAB.gif.b71898b3c1b87be0643b592bcfd64817.gif

• Love 2

36 minutes ago, Nick G. said:

I didn’t say chart success...I said streaming numbers. However it’s pretty clear Beyoncé doesn’t care about single success given her last two albums. She has also made comments that people don’t make “albums” anymore and the industry is so focus on one-off single success. 

Beyonce and Taylor didn’t feel the need to release their previous albums immediately to all streaming platforms...so yes, it’s clear they don’t care too heavily about streaming numbers as opposed to touring. 

Having a #1 song and/or album looks good on paper...but selling out stadiums consistently actually brings in the paper.

IA. These girls can rack up all their quick little hits while Beyonce and Taylor rack up hundreds of millions on tour. You make zero money with streaming. There's a reason Beyonce and Taylor are on a different tier. They don't care about streaming charts and honestly? Taylor holding off her album for a week to secure 1 million+ in sales is a smart strategy especially when everyone else is being celebrated by selling 250k. You just can't compare. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Yeah, everyone knows that all stadium acts remain that way when an entire generation isn’t listening to their music on their preferred platform. Y’all are way shortsighted right now.

7 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Yeah, everyone knows that all stadium acts remain that way when an entire generation isn’t listening to their music on their preferred platform. Y’all are way shortsighted right now.

i mean, madonna hasn't had a hit on the radio since what, 4 minutes in 2008? and before that it was what? music in 2000? she did stadiums in the states until the MDNA tour. the woman is 60. i don't think beyonce and taylor will be doing stadiums forever but their career approach is a lot smarter than say, billie eilish, who has billions of streams and is doing the fonda theater in los angeles while taylor and beyonce are doing the rose bowl stadium 2 nights in a row...

1 minute ago, cesar said:

i mean, madonna hasn't had a hit on the radio since what, 4 minutes? and before that it was what? music? she did stadiums in the states until the MDNA tour. the woman is 60.

You’re talking about the woman who invented the modern tour schedule.

Not to mention U2, Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones, the list goes on...

Nothing is a given , but these “legacy” acts have a following regardless of streaming that crosses generations. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Nick G. said:

Streaming success IS chart success though...yes they’re making a lot of money and selling out stadium tours, but to think they don’t want #1s because they’re somehow above it is an interesting perspective. And this whole argument will be invalidated with Taylor’s next #1 😂😂😂

9 minutes ago, Kaz said:

Streaming success IS chart success though...yes they’re making a lot of money and selling out stadium tours, but to think they don’t want #1s because they’re somehow above it is an interesting perspective. And this whole argument will be invalidated with Taylor’s next #1 😂😂😂

Honestly, I don’t think Beyoncé  cares...and yes, at this point she is sort of above it. Literally on self-titled she said, “probably won’t make no money off this...oh well” and “I don’t trust these record labels, I’m touring.”

Taylor, probably, but if she had to choose, you bet your ass she would choose selling stadiums over streaming/sales.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, José said:

I don’t get what you’re trying to say, @Chaz

It's the same reason why I've been saying that Gaga is over. She's been everywhere the last six months or so, and "Shallow" hit #1 on the Hot 100. But guess what? Young people don't care. Her streaming numbers were almost non-existent, and old channels (iTunes, album sales) are what have fueled her success the last several months. She's not reaching the young people, and that's why A Star is Born is her going-away party.

Obviously Beyonce and Taylor Swift aren't at that point yet (....yet) but a sure sign that you aren't reaching young people is to look at your streaming numbers. That's almost entirely where young people consume their music - not radio, not iTunes, not the CD sampler at Virgin Records. The paradigm has shifted, and artists from a different generation have got to get on the trolley.

Taylor's debut single from reputation did well for a bit, but then what? It's like that album disappeared. 

If you have all the young people not listening to your music because you've neglected their platforms, your career will be fucked. Because every year that passes by, that audience becomes the tastemakers in our culture.  

Taylor and Beyonce are already selling out stadiums - it will cost them nothing to shift more extensively toward streaming.

• Love 1

38 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Taylor's debut single from reputation did well for a bit, but then what? It's like that album disappeared. 

Facts

• Like 1

Took a break from the forum only to come back to people STILL hating on Ari. 😂 I guess she's doing something right.

Btw, stadium sales and streaming numbers aren't mutually exclusive. Maybe not the intention of your rhetoric, but that's the presumption being made in my eyes.  

You don't build a musical legacy by just selling out tours. I don't know about y'all but I didn't go to my first concert till I was in my early 20s because I nor my family couldn't afford it, privilege is nice.

• Love 2

Do you blame people for not streaming Taylor's last album though? The album was one of her worst, she didn't do a single ounce of press, promo, performances - it was complete radio silence. I know that went with her whole aesthetic but yeah the quality of the album wasn't strong enough to back a release like that. This time around seems like she wants to do a more straight forward pop album and release, no doubt she'll break records on spotify etc.

28 minutes ago, Peter said:

Took a break from the forum only to come back to people STILL hating on Ari. 😂 I guess she's doing something right.

Btw, stadium sales and streaming numbers aren't mutually exclusive. Maybe not the intention of your rhetoric, but that's the presumption being made in my eyes.  

You don't build a musical legacy by just selling out tours. I don't know about y'all but I didn't go to my first concert till I was in my early 20s because I nor my family couldn't afford it, privilege is nice.

You build a legacy by putting out quality music people can relate to. It's why there are a few artists out there on the same level tier as Beyonce and Taylor from this generation. Most streams are going towards the "younger" generation (Taylor's turning 30 this year btw) or whatever flavor of the month soundcloud rapper. The music landscape has changed. Everyone's focused on putting out quick little hits to strike while the iron is hot instead of connecting with their audience on a deeper level musically.

This is what the person who has the #1 song in the country just tweeted this week - 

Rihanna didn't become Rihanna until she stopped giving a shit about the charts and scoring as many #1s as she could. I understand you have to evolve with the music industry in order to survive, but people can stream a song all they want and not care about the artist. People on this forum discredit Camila even though Havana was streamed over 1 billion times. Someone who's willing to go out of their way and spend $12.99 on your album is more likely to devote their time, energy and passion towards your career than someone who's clicking on your song on an app they don't even pay for. That's why Ariana with all the hits she's racking up is doing venues with 15k people during her peak and Taylor and Beyonce are doing venues that hold 70k past theirs. 

2 hours ago, Chaz said:

It's the same reason why I've been saying that Gaga is over. She's been everywhere the last six months or so, and "Shallow" hit #1 on the Hot 100. But guess what? Young people don't care. Her streaming numbers were almost non-existent, and old channels (iTunes, album sales) are what have fueled her success the last several months. She's not reaching the young people, and that's why A Star is Born is her going-away party.

Obviously Beyonce and Taylor Swift aren't at that point yet (....yet) but a sure sign that you aren't reaching young people is to look at your streaming numbers. That's almost entirely where young people consume their music - not radio, not iTunes, not the CD sampler at Virgin Records. The paradigm has shifted, and artists from a different generation have got to get on the trolley.

If you have all the young people not listening to your music because you've neglected their platforms, your career will be fucked. Because every year that passes by, that audience becomes the tastemakers in our culture.  

Taylor and Beyonce are already selling out stadiums - it will cost them nothing to shift more extensively toward streaming.

Really? Cause I’m pretty sure RFI debuted in the top 5 on bb, and the album went on to sell more than 5 million, with, like someone mentioned, zero promo.  I feel some people are so out of touch with her vision/strategy with rep and think she somehow would call the era a failure. When she wants to be back on top, she will.